Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Happy International Women's Day

Today is the 100th anniversary of International Women's Day.



Tons of people will be coming together on bridges around the world. Find the bridge closest to your place and join us in celebrating women's achievements.

To participate in person or virtually, you simply go to the below Google link and search for your city:
http://www.google.com.au/events/iwd2011/

The closest one for me is Sydney. Women for Women International is organizing an event on the Harbor Bridge today.

I am a woman myself. I feel so empowered this time of year. I like meeting other women and hearing about their success stories. It motives me and gives me a positive attitude. I am a small business owner juggling house work, kids and business related jobs, all in 24 hours. It is challenging for me. I envy other women sometimes thinking of how easy might be for them. I see them lough and chat around compared to me always in a rush. But, when this day comes and hear about other women's life, I realize how fortunate I am.

The first International women's day was in 1911. It took place in Europe when people rallied for the right of women to vote and work. The date 8th of March was set on because of a Russian woman. On this day, people talk about peace, political issues, human rights and work conditions. Australia has started to celebrate this day in 1928.

People should dress in one these colours:
* white to represent purity
* purple to represent self-respect
* green to represent the hope and a positive new life

In my family, women receive flower bouquets from husbands, fathers, any loved or related male. In Europe, women everywhere (business office, factory, teachers and so on) are treated with flowers, sweets, gifts or even a day off.

I was surprised to not hear any mentioning about this day at my daughter's school morning assembly. Such a shame.

If you are alone or you feel alone, just take some time off, few hours or the whole day, and enjoy yourself. Go walk in the park, go shopping, treat yourself with something nice and healthy, or .... visit a neighbor or friend who is in the same situation and would like company.


Have a wonderful day!

Jenny Lorr is the Sales and Business Development Manager at Edible Gift, a Sydney,NSW,Australia. based company specializing in unique, delicious fruit flower arrangements. http://www.ediblegift.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment